I know, I haven't been posting anything new and exciting, although we've done some fun things since our last post (will give you a report at a later time). I've been busy because we are in the process of moving into our new home!
Dan and I have lived in apartments during the course of our marriage--some big, some very small. Some with a concrete yard (a balcony) some without. I am so pleased to announce that we've actually found a suitable house--yes, they do have houses here in Tokyo--with a real yard (the grass kind, all be it small). Our new landlord has also agreed to let us have a pet too. If we can find one that we can adopt, we are going to surprise the kids with a puppy for Christmas.
The best network has to be the LDS kind. We've received tremendous help in finding the right neighborhoods and finding our home from tips and information given by members from our church that live here in Tokyo. One woman in particular, Melanie, has been a great resource and instrumental in helping us get settled in. Currently, we are without a car, and she took me out today to a nearby department store called "D2." It's kinda like a smaller scale Walmart/Target hybrid. She introduced me to a friend of hers who is leaving the country in a couple of weeks and her friend gave us her fridge and nearly new washer and dryer. Yay!
Earlier in the housing search, Melanie introduced us to her former property agent, the wonderful, Furakawa-san. She's the sweetest grandmotherly woman. Incredibly kind and small (she must be 4'9"), and always wearing a warm smile. She picked our family up at the train station twice, and packed us all in her wagon to show us properties in the Maihama area, in Chiba prefecture. She also was kind to give us a driving tour of our prospective neighborhood, pointing out the parks, schools and shopping areas. The third time she picked us up at the train station was today, to take us to our new home and give us our keys as well as some new resident information that she had kindly picked up for us at the city hall earlier in the week. We were really surprised (and grateful) when she handed us (with a giggle) a housewarming gift--a family sized pack of TP! Later that day, Furakawa-san also made a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up a few essentials for us too. What a sweetheart!
So far Tokyo has been treating us kindly--we've been very blessed. I'm hoping I can return the favor to all the wonderful people that have helped us. Or, maybe in the near future I can help the new kid on the block.
We are officially moving in tomorrow, and won't be posting anything new until we get internet access, which I hear can take a while to set-up with the companies. Fooie. Bye for now.
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Teresa, I love that you are taking the time to keep up this blog. I enjoy showing the pictures to the kids and teaching them thru you a little about Japan. They love seeing the kids pictures and it helps them relate to the things so far away. I hope you keep posting to the blog and keeping us all informed!
I've taken a page from your book here and started my own blog on this site.
It's super fancy!
I have two other blogs but this one is more appropriate for all ages. And in keeping with that idea I've called it, "Goody Two Shoes."
I love that you guys finally have a house. It's hilarious that you lived all over the states in apartments and then moved to Tokyo and got a house. Who does that? Awesome.
My friend Clark said she's getting a Japanese for beginners thing for me for my graduation so I'll get some practice in before I come there next year. Got to know how to say the basics like, "The Juke is wise and mighty" and, "Is this where they filmed The Karate Kid?"
Hope you get your internet back soon so I can have more updates to read. All that's on the regular news sites these days are serial killer and child sweat shop stories. Your news is a little more uplifting and they don't have pictures of my handsome and talented extended family members!
Tell my big brother I said, "What's up esse?"
-Tif
Wow--what an amazing group of kindly strangers all working together to get you guys comfortably settled in! Amazing. Especially since you are in a totally foreign environment--that kind of help can't even be afforded. The Mo' network is the best!
Read your whole blog in one fell swoop.
Omigosh--your Blog should be titled;
The West Clan: The Next Generation.
I think the kids get the wolf characteristics from my side of the family 'cause--your tales of the airport, on the plane, going to the zoo.....etc. had me howlin'---- both in sympathy and remembrance of what it was like going anywhere with a bunch of young rambunctious Wests.
Seated in the very back of the plane---talk about adding embarrassment to injury.
So glad you all made it there safely--hope to come visit one of these days.
Give all those precious little grand-baby Wests hugs and kisses from Grandma West and keep some for yourself and Dan.
You've been tagged! Go to my blog to see how to play! Take your time... Lace
I cant wait to see photos ok!!!! Yay, so glad it is all turning out well.
Post a Comment